The Public Works Department maintains the town’s infrastructure. This includes repairing and plowing roads to ensure convenience, livelihood, and quality of life for the people of Chester. We also maintain Town property.
The Public Works crew is perhaps the most visible of town services. A crew of two full-time employees and a full-time Foreman make up the Department. Outside contractors are utilized throughout the year to supplement Town resources.
The Public Works Department relies on the expertise of a volunteer Road Committee to assess the specific needs of the roads, as listed in the Town’s five-year road improvement plan. The Committee views each road on the plan and compiles a priority and work list. The work is then contracted, subject to available funding.
Some of the functions handled by the Department include:
- minor road repairs
- building maintenance (Community Center, Meeting House, Public Library, Public Works Department, Town Hall, and Visitor Center)
- maintaining vehicles and equipment
- monthly brush pick up
- mowing and trimming of town properties and parks
- park maintenance requests
- catch basin cleaning in the spring and leaf removal from town properties in the fall
- removal of snow and ice from town property
- roadside tree trimming
John Divis, Foreman