Town Clerk

Dear Friends and Visitors: As a lifelong resident of Chester and its Town Clerk since 1990, I welcome you to our web page. The Town Clerk’s Office offers a variety of services. We often provide official information between local government and the public. We are the “safe keepers” of Town records. We also work closely with legislative bodies on recording and maintaining official records and documents. From sourcing birth, death, and marriage certificates, to licensing your dog, to checking the agendas and/or minutes of a particular board or commission, to finding out who is running for election, the Town Clerk’s Office is here to assist you in the most pleasant and helpful way possible. Debra Germini Calamari, Town Clerk Phone: 860-526-0013, Ext. 510 Email: Sharon S. Echtman, Assistant Town Clerk Phone: 860-526-0013, Ext. 510

Elected Officials

Officials Listing with party affiliation as they were voted for at election November 2021

Vacancies on elected and appointed boards and commissions November 2021

Town Ordinances

Ordinances Cover Page February 2019

Ordinance Index Pages February 2019

Ordinances February 2019

Public Access Stickers

In order to use the Deep River Transfer Station, Parker Point Boat Launch, and Cedar Lake Road Beach, residents must have a Public Access Sticker, which may be obtained from this office with proof of residency and vehicle license plate number. One-day stickers are available in the event that a resident needs to borrow a vehicle for hauling waste or a boat.

The Town of Chester no longer issues fishing licenses. Please visit the Deep River Town Hall for all fishing license applications and information.

Office Hours

Mon, Wed, Thurs: 9:00 – 12:00, 1:00 – 4:00 Tuesday : 9:00 – 12:00, 1:00 – 7:00 Friday: 9:00 – 12:00

Marriage Licenses

You have to apply for a license in the Connecticut town where you plan to be married. The license must be returned to the town you were married in. State Law says that if you are under 18 years of age, you need the written consent of your parent or guardian. If you are under 16 years of age, the Probate Judge has to sign a consent form as well. You both have to appear at the Town Clerk’s Office in person. The license is valid for 65 days from the date of application. The fee is $30.00. If you want a certified copy of the license, the cost is $20.00. A list of Justices of the Peace for the Town of Chester can be found through the link in the Directory on the Town Services page at the left side of this page.

Vital Records

The Town Clerk’s Office maintains records of birth, marriage and death for people who were born, married, or died in Chester. Our earliest records date back to 1847. Birth Certificates – $20.00/certified copy If your parents resided in Chester at the time of your birth, you can obtain a certified birth certificate at our office. Marriage Certificates – $20.00/certified copy If you were married in Chester, you can obtain a certified marriage certificate at our office. To obtain a certified marriage certificate by mail, send a letter of request to: Town Clerk’s Office 203 Middlesex Avenue Chester, CT 06412 Include:

  • Names of couple (including wife’s maiden name)
  • Wedding date
  •  A check must be made payable to the Town of Chester

Death Certificates – $20.00/certified copy Death certificates are kept on those individuals who either died in Chester or who were residents of Chester at the time of their death.

Voter Registration Requirements

To register in Connecticut, you must: • be a United States citizen • be a resident of a Connecticut town • be at least 17 years old (must turn 18 before primary/election day) • have completed confinement and parole if previously convicted of a felony and have had your voting rights restored by Registrar Registration forms can be found at the Town Hall, DMV, or the Office of the Secretary of State.

Register to Vote Online

You can now register to vote on line with this link – On-Line Voter Registration – or check your party affiliation with this link –Voter Registration Look Up Tool.

Map of Chester

To request a map of Chester, visit

Board of Education Contracts

Asst Supt 2018-19 K Martineau SIGNEDDir of Region 4 Facilities L Rank 2018-19 SIGNEDBusiness Manager_K Allen 2018-19 SIGNEDDir Food Services Thomas Peterlik 2018-19 SIGNEDDir of Technology 2018-19 Pam Murphy SIGNEDJuly 1, 2017- June 30, 2020 Administrator ContractSuperintendent Contract for 2018-21 SIGNED


Questions Frequently Asked of Town Clerk

Q: The bank sent me a release of mortgage. What do I do with it? When a mortgage is paid, the bank will send you a legal form, “Release and Discharge of Mortgage,” which you are required to record on the Land Records at the Town Clerk’s Office. The charge is $53.00 for a single-page document, with a $5.00 charge per page thereafter, per State statute.

Q: How do I get a copy of my military discharge papers? A certified copy of military discharge papers may be obtained from the Town Clerk’s Office if they were filed there. These papers are required for a veteran tax exemption. There is no fee for a copy of these papers.

Q: How can I obtain a copy of my birth certificate? A copy of your birth certificate is on file in the Town Clerk’s Office in the town in which you were born and in the town in which your mother lived at the time of your birth. A certified copy of a birth certificate is $20.00.

Q: How are fees and charges set in the Town Clerk’s Office? Almost all fees are set by state statute.

Q: How do I get a marriage license? The couple to be married must appear in person at the Town Clerk’s Office in the town in which the ceremony will take place to complete an application and to take an oath.

Q: How do I get a dog license? All dogs over six months of age must be licensed per state statute. Licenses are available from the Town Clerk’s Office. A current certificate that the dog has been immunized against rabies is required. Licenses are renewable each June and are valid for one year.

Q: What Congressional District are we in? All of Chester is in the U.S. 2nd Congressional District and the Connecticut 33rd Senatorial district and 36th Assembly District.

Q: I will be out of town during the upcoming election. How can I vote? Applications for absentee ballots are available to eligible voters through the Town Clerk’s Office. Ballots for elections, primaries, and referenda are issued in accordance with state statutes and are available one month prior to the voting date. For an Annual Budget referendum, call the Town Clerk.